Home' The Bunyip : January 29th 2015 Contents AS we've seen in the
Sampson Flat bushfires,
all it takes is a small spark
at the wrong time in the wrong
place to ignite a devastating fire.
It is the same in the home and
whether you live in suburbia
or the bush, it is important to
remember a lot can be done to
prevent a fire.
According to the Australasian
Fire Authorities Council, the
majority of house fires, which can
be caused by electrical faults,
heaters, open fires and lamps,
Reftec Services electrical service
operations manager Peter
Mahony said there are many
precautions that can be taken to
minimise the fire risk.
He said, in his experience, among
the more common fire starters is
the computer screen.
"People leave computer screens
in sleep mode, so they're still
powered, they're still producing
heat...and they get so hot
they actually do burn," he
Televisions screens are similar in
nature and should not be left on
sleep mode for long, Peter said.
Frequently, electrical goods are
connected by double adapters
and power boards, which if
neglected could post a big risk.
Peter advised locals to bin any
double adapters in their home
-- they're bad news.
"I know they're available at your
supermarket but they're, power
points, actually not designed for
them," he said.
"They're a convenience thing and,
unfortunately, people start putting
multiple double adapters together
and we wind up having a serious
An alternative to the double
adapter is a power board, which
includes several sockets.
Peter said power boards need
to positioned carefully to avoid
getting dust in the socket.
"They face upwards, so the
pin holes in the power board
are exposed to anything that's
falling," he said.
"You get enough dust in there,
then you start getting a very poor
contact and some of the dust can
actually be more of a fluff, which
Positioning the power board on
its side or putting power-point
stops into unused sockets can
prevent dust falling into the holes.
Peter also discouraged locals
from purchasing power points
and light switches from online
"It really needs to be an
Australian-made product with
an Australian stamp because it's
made for our environment and, in
particular, because our voltages
and frequency are quite unique,"
OUT OF SIGHT
While it is important to ensure
your computer and stove are off
when you go to sleep each night,
it is worth remembering that a
great deal of electrical material is
out of sight in homes.
Peter said the majority of house
fires start in the ceiling where the
electrical wiring lives.
"The age of the electrical wiring
is an issue, especially in the
Barossa and through Gawler," he
"(In some older homes) there
would be the split conduit...and
that's the rubber insulation with
the fabric coating on the outside.
"If you've got that stuff in your
house, you should be replacing
it, it's gone way past its use-by
Peter advised residents who have
lived in their home for a long time
to have their wiring inspected.
He also urged locals to watch
out for mice and rats, which are
the "worst enemy of electrical
He warned locals against
attempting to repair any damaged
equipment or leads on their own.
During the fire danger season
and fire ban days locals must
also keep in mind that there are
additional restrictions in place.
Most importantly, all residents
must ensure their smoke alarms
are in working order.
Page 4 "THE BUNYIP" GAWLER, Home and Garden Liftout, Thursday, January 29, 2015
HOME AND GARDEN
Window and door
v Aluminium Door & Window Replacements v Security Doors/Invisiguard
v Flyscreens -- new and remeshed v General Repairs & Maintenance
Contact Shaun 0430 383 546 | spwindows.com.au
Don't put your family or business at risk
Call Darryl today for a no obligation survey & quote
PHONE 0449 660 119
• Evacuation plans • Fire panel plans
• Fire equipment sales and service
• Safety consultation etc
• Electrical tagging & testing
Reftec Services electrical service
operations manager Peter Mahony said
there are many ways to ensure your
electrical equipment is not a re risk.
• If you have lived in your home for a long
time, have the electrical wiring inspected.
• Do not leave your computer and television
screens on sleep mode -- turn them off.
• Avoid using double adapters.
• Never attempt to repair electrical faults.
• Watch out for rodents -- they could have a
nibble on your wiring and leads.
• Ensure your smoke alarm is in working
needs to be an
it's made for our
Links Archive January 21st 2015 Februaty 4th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page